Tag: Nikon 85mm f1.8G
I haven’t done much photography these past few weeks – been busy with another project – so looking through the files, playing with processing. I’ve been in a “retro” mood of late, and in LR, VSCO provides some excellent presets. This is one, with some variation.
For lack of a better name, the date I took it.
Here in SoCal we are in the umpteenth year of drought. If you look at “then” and “now” images of the state’s water resources, as in dammed lakes, there is a shocking loss of water reserves. I’ve stopped watering my backyard.
Back onto topic: I went out yesterday to use an 85mm lens to do landscape, and to take a look at the vegetation in a local regional park, Wildwood, which covers a large area nearby. Landscape with an 85mm lens is rather funny because I have to “compose with my feet” and I found it very hard to do. Most success seems to have occurred when I walked a good 30 feet / 10m from what I wanted in the foreground or as subject matter. I did some aperture priority and manual exposure / focus on this trip . . .
Using an 85mm lens is not the normal landscape lens, and it is damned hard to do. For a good composition, I had to be about 30 feet from what I wanted as a point of interest in the foreground.
This is my first attempt at creating a stitched image using the Brenizer method. Altogether, 37 pictures were taken, using a Nikon D7000, 85mm f1.8G lens, and manual settings at 1/125, f1.8, 100 iso.
This method is also called a “bokeh panorama” – to learn more about the technique, just google it!
Because this is a “bokeh panorama” the DOF is shallow. I didn’t have a model, so just used a corner of my house to do this first attempt. The midline area of the roses are what was in focus, and the rest is outside that plane, front and back. Not a great picture, but the goal was to try it.
Anyway, 37 pictures at 16.xx megapixels is huge, so, using only the jpegs, I reduced all 37 images to 1000 pixels along the long edge before moving all of them, via LR5, to CS6, using the “merge to panorama” in the edit option of LR, and then letting CS6 automatically do its thing. Some post processing and cropping to create a final, usable image.