Tag: Fuji Superia 400

Sycamore

Sycamore

Before they added a second entry, this was the first tree to greet you as you walked in. Every autumn its leaves change color, and tumble to the ground. Sometimes they fly past you when the wind picks up. They are large and colorful, and something I look forward to every fall as much of California, where I live, is populated with non-deciduous trees and bushes.

Olympus Trip 35, Fuji Superia 400.

Wheel Barrows

Wheel Barrows

I busted a toe about 5 weeks ago and am finally able to wear more than a piece of tape around my 3rd and 4th toes and tight shoes. I have been hobbling around and taking, slowly and surely, short walks. I think I am out of the woods for the most part, and last week I was able to walk, very carefully, along the trails at the botanical garden. These wheel barrows reside behind their maintenance building, and I rather liked their colors and lines, so neatly stacked upon each other.

I took these with my Olympus Trip 35 and Fuji Superia 400 film. I picked up the film today and scanned and edited in post. The little Trip 35 does a great job for a camera ca. 1967. Some of the roll didn’t advance right, but when it did work, it did a pretty darned good job.

I save a lot of money on film since I don’t process it myself by scanning my own images in either my vintage Pakon 135 scanner, Epson V600, or Pacific Image scanners. Here I used the Pakon and my old eMachine XP laptop. It’s a pretty easy process. Once scanned, into Lightroom, and the rest, as they say, is history. There is something about film, even when edited in the digital darkroom, that a totally digital experience cannot replace – not even those great Fuji films mods in the X100V.

Poppy, Revisited

Matilija Poppy (1 of 1)

The original of this image had the poppies in the background burnt out against the sky. In LR, I created 5 virtual copies, each with a + or – value of 1 or 2, creating virtual bracketing. I exported them as tiffs. In Photomatix, I blended them to create a single image. The last move was into LR6, creating a slightly warmer cast, creating a gradient from the upper left to lower right (about half way). In the gradient, I adjusted the temp and tint sliders to adjust the sky. Final touch was a bit of clarification and dodging of the poppy in the foreground.