This is an image desaturated to black and white from the Dubble Bubble Gum film I won over a year ago. I cropped it, and cleaned it up a bit for this post, but the original unedited and uncropped version is below!
Yesterday I went out around noon. Bad time, traditionally, to make a picture, but that was the time frame I had. I had two film cameras with me – an OM-1n with an Orange 21 filter and B&W film, and a new-to-me Certo Six out on its maiden voyage and filled with Ektar 100.
As it was hot, I sat down in the shade along a trail. And here, a tree I have so many times along my walk, had a brand new perspective. I think I took it with both cameras, but it was just so beautiful, I took out my cell phone . . . too impatient to wait for film to come back.
How old is this lovely oak? I know there were some here when the Spanish showed up 300 years ago, and they were old then. Sometimes, I wish I could see the world through the eye of a tree.
I decided to send the Welta Weltur our for a bit of a CLA. The rangefinder / viewer is a bit foggy and makes it difficult to focus easily. That is taken care of by using a smaller f-stop, thus increasing the DOF. I am not sure how this light leak occurred – perhaps when it was being developed.
Taken with Ilford XP Super 400, Welta Weltur from 1937, Xenar lens. Guestimated exposures. Scanned with Epson V600.
Another view of the local botanical gardens. Today’s image is much sharper than yesterday’s – less muddy from a bit of blur. Again, Weltur, Ilford, and Xenar.
It seems the Xenar is quite good at handling contrast. The LR historgram shows both in its display. As well, the Epson V600 handles C-41 processed B&W film with Digital Ice – very little clean up done in post. With one roll of the XP Super film left, I am tempted to get some more . . .
A tree, a sunny day, a canyon, a 1937 folding Welta Weltur camera, a colored filter, 120 film shot in6x4.5 film, Ilford film, a Schneider Kreuznach Xenar 2.8 80mm lens. Such a delight to get back from the lab (even if I have to do a bit of cleaning up in LR)!
If you look closely, you will see there is blur in the image. I finally figured out that the way I was pressing the exposure button was the fault. I did it too quickly, and the result was a sort of little jerk. Motion and blur. That is why some pictures from this roll are sharper and others softer. Interesting how you have to really think about things differently depending on the camera you are using.
While not where Wordsworth was, this little bit of local beauty is always a place of tranquility and quiet – a place, a place to be thankful for each day.
Another image from the roll of Ilford Super XP 400, a C-41 process black and white film. Again, with the Welta Weltur from 1937. And, once more, I am so impressed by the Xenar lens!
I took the Weltur out in a number of situations, using the Sunny 16 rule for the most part. I expect I shot this at 1/250 as it was a bright, sunny day. I also brought my light meter with me, but tried to guess before I measured. I also think I may have used f/8. The reason? More light for the detail in the trunk. Maybe I should write things down so I can see how things really work out – not just guess at how things work out. Shouldn’t be too hard for 12 – 18 pictures!
Part of my container garden this summer in the Dog Free Zone. I grew hot chilis, herbs, flowers, and, in particular, milkweed. You can see the milkweed seed pods have opened, and the seeds are waiting to blown away by the wind. The milkweed is food that is important to Monarch butterflies, but I have heard that the milkweed with colored flowers is not good for the butterflies. I want to do a bit of research on this – what if all is for naught?
Once more, this is a photo using my 1937 Welta Weltur and Ilford XP Super 400 film. The Xenar lens is stunning, with lovely detail and softness at the same time. I really like what it can do.
This time around I remembered I had the reduction mask in my 1937 Welta Weltur camera. I also used a yellow(ish) filter I have that slides over the lens. I have never used it before, but I am glad I did as it made the plants a bit more differentiated. In theory, I get how filters work, but when I try to remember, it just disappears from my brain. One day it would be really nice to get that clearly imprinted in my memory!
Okay, that aside, I so enjoy making pictures with these old cameras. When they hit the sweet spot, there is something so beautiful in the final image. This one I cleaned up – threads, spots – but didn’t do too much more to it other than upping the contrast a bit. I wanted the white sage flowers to pop against the background. The filter helped, but so did digital post production.
I know some people who claim that digital post is not the same as a real dark room. No, it’s not, but it is a lot easier to do the same things – and then some! – you would do in a traditional dark room.
Anyway, more to come, but perhaps only a couple as a lot of the images are a bit dicey as far as putting out in the public’s eye. I scanned these with the Epson V600 scanner and the film is Ilford Super XP 400, which is a black and white that can be developed in C-41, which is the chemistry for color negative film.